Monday, January 30, 2012

"The Quilter" card to remember a friend's mother

On Saturday I traveled to my hometown of Westernport, Md. to attend a memorial service for my friend's mother. My friend, Tom, delivered a sermon, he called a "sermeulogy" titled "The Quilter". This is posted on his personal blog, The Sermon Closet.

Tom says his mother, Goldie, "saw her quilts as a legacy, because each piece carried a piece of her life. That legacy extended far beyond the small scraps of fabric.

She took pieces of her life and wove it into others.

She brought the greatest gift a mother could bring. She took the good pieces of their lives and stitched it together."


I'm hoping my scrapbook pages carry a similar legacy.

To make the card, I first scanned the Teresa Collins paper "Notations" and sized it to my envelope. (The paper as is was too big to fit) I added the words digitally and a brown, thick "stroke". I printed that on cream cardstock. The colored pieces were cut from a piece of Circa 1934 Cosmo Cricket paper and adhered to the front. I added stitches to each of the large brown patterns.

12 comments:

Lynn said...

Cindy this is so heartfelt. I love the card.

Marilyn said...

Oh my dear friend, this is very touching! So sorry about your friend's mother! and what lovely sermon. I also hope to leave a legacy through my scrapbooking pages, too! Lovely card!!!
Take care!
Hugs!! :)

Charlotte Brochu said...

Very lovely card Cindy. I love the story behind it!. Yes, you do recognize the couple. It is Lynn's daughter ( my neice).

Deana said...

Your cards are beautiful, Cindy. And your scrapbook pages will carry on your legacy, telling your story. Awesome. And I'm so sorry for your loss. Big hugs...

misty said...

beautiful!

Anna C said...

Very beautiful. So sorry for your loss.

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Love the sentiment behind the card. So touching and inspirational!
Hugs from India

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful card. So sorry for the loss!!!

Margo said...

So sorry for your loss, it's a very elegant card !
Hugs
Margo

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Lovely card!!! xo

Heather Landry said...

I think the card is beautiful and I definitely feel that your scrapbook pages will be treasured in the same way. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

KellyCreates said...

A very touching and thoughtful card...lovely quilt design :)