Monday, November 4, 2013

Baking Bad

When an old friend titled my food posts "Baking Bad", I knew I had to do something with that.

You see, baking-Cindy style-means good and healthy.  I substitute healthy ingredients in all my recipes and make them lean and nutrient rich.  As a registered dietitian, I do that for a living and have done so for almost 40 years.

I modeled my title work and photo montage after the TV show (Breaking Bad) ads.  This is a hybrid layout, with digital filters, frames and clip art and traditional papers and alphas.

Photos across the top of the page are recipes I modified and tested at home.  Recipes and nutrition analysis can be found here:
Flourless Peanut Chocolate Cakes 
Apple Cheddar Pie Singles 
Cranberry Apple Cake 
Chocolate Pear Loaf 

Here's where it all began. . . a photo of me featured in the WVU Student Newspaper baking bread-in 1976.  Photo by Wayne Scarberry, the same friend who nicknamed my latest recipes, "Baking Bad".

Finally, the modified recipe for Citrus Upside Down Cake, the one I'm holding in the layout photo.  ( Serves 7)

Spray a 7 1/2 inch Springform Pan with Pam.

Mix 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 Tbsp. Benecol margarine & 2 Tbsp. water.  Spread evenly over pan.  

Slice 3 peeled clementine oranges thinly and arrange over sugar mixture in pan.  Set aside.

Beat 2 eggs and 1/3 cup granulated sugar.  Add 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce.

Mix together 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. cardamom, 2/3 cup all purpose flour and 1/3 cup whole wheat flour.

Add alternately to egg mixture with 1/2 cup skim milk, mixing just until blended.

Pour over orange mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 minutes.  Cool in pan 25 minutes.

Per serving:  183 Calories, 5 grams Protein, 33 grams Carbohydrate, 4 grams Fat, 174 mg Sodium, 1.6 grams Fiber and 26% Vitamin C.  14 Grams of added Sugar.

11 comments:

Connie Mercer said...

oh yes , sounds awesome. Love the Lo adressing what your friend said. I guess you told her:):)

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Brilliant design!! I love how you play with the photos! :)

Charlotte Brochu said...

Love the play on words for your title and good for you finding ways to make things healthier!

Melinda Spinks said...

I think I need you to come and transpose all my recipes too ;)

Love the whole concept of your layout. Just wonderful :)

Heather McMahon said...

Oh that title is the best! Love it! Just wait til I tell me Breaking Bad fan hubby!

Heather McMahon said...

Whoops! I meant MY hubby - lol!

Monique Liedtke said...

:) What a fun title and story! Love that photo of you in 1976! Great layout and love the photo editing you did!

Margo said...

Lovely LO !
I love the pictures and have to admit, I'm adicted to baking, I have to stop myself or I would make 2 or 3 cakes every day (not healty for my family) :)
Hugs
Margo

Shona said...

that title work is AWESOME!!!! I got it right away LOL!

Unknown said...

STUNNING page! love it!!

francie said...

Hi, Cindy - I popped over from sb.com to check out your great recipes and creative website. The recipe for the upside down cake sounds fabulous and I will certainly give it a try. Wonderful job on your LO. Fran (Quick Silver)